Thursday, November 6, 2008

Day 10 on the outline.

Have first act outlined now, enough to draft. Really need to move on to second act tomorrow. If I want to start my draft on Monday, that's first half of second act tomorrow, second half of second act on Saturday, third act on Sunday.

That's a lot. Not sure if I can get there by Monday, to be honest. But - momentum has been working for me, so that's what I'm aiming for. (Obviously, I have some sense of what's going on in the rest of the movie, but it's very far from locked down.)

2 comments:

Benedict Reid said...

I think outlining is important, you need to know where you're going... but I also think it's a bit like a road map. You look at it before you start the car; you check the important road names you'll need to know. Then you start the car and drive. Because you've got a map you feel safe, and when you think you've gone off the road you can always pull over and have a another look at the map. But of course that doesn't stop you from getting lost sometimes. And it's not as if the map could or should describe what every street looks like.
Of course I could take this metaphor too far, but basically... you don't spend as much time looking at a map and working out your route to your destination as you do actually driving. That would be silly. So while Monday seems like a tight deadline to you, it's not as if you're trying to write the script before you write the script. You're just committing to memory a few important road signs and checking for junctions where you might get lost.

the daily screenwriter said...

Yeah. Thanks. Nice analogy. Still having to remind myself an outline is a map, not a GPS system. (Make one of those, Final Draft!)