Saturday, November 8, 2008

Day 11 on the outline.

I was just going to work on the first half of the second act today, but then I realised I wasn't sure which half of the act some of my scenes needed to be in - so I worked on the act as a whole. Slower progress than I'd have liked. A general shape is emerging, but it all feels VERY slow! Looking at my cards on the floor it doesn't look like I've made that much progress - but my brain hurts, so that's got to be good, right? Not sure if my dissatisfaction means I'm overthinking, or what... And every so often I realise there's a whole angle I haven't considered yet, like my protagonist's relationship with the antagonist... and so on and so on. I realise that I'm going to have to start my draft with a lot of questions still unanswered, or I'll be counting down to 'Day 100 on the outline'... still, knowing where to draw the line is tricky.

2 comments:

blofeld said...

It's interesting reading the blog now i am not writing anything. It makes me slightly frustrated, but in an "impatient to write" good kind of way.

I have read two scripts and have comments but I just don't have time to write my other script which is a bummer. Still, I would rather spend my time giving constructive feedback on others scripts because the payoff is equally constructive feedback on my major project.

the daily screenwriter said...

Glad it's kinda motivating... I guess the reason I'm keen to hear other people's page counts is that that's motivating for me in the same way.

I think giving feedback on scripts is really good to do as a writer, it firms up that sense of what works/doesn't work and why. So even if you're not writing as such, it's still grist to the mill.