Thursday, September 25, 2008

Page 90

Have moved forward with my new philosophy of 'just get it down'. My final scene on page 90 was pretty bad though, it's the second turning point, and I haven't figured it out much at all. Don't know if a scene that bald is still really functional or not. I haven't figured out exactly what it is that triggers my protag's decision, and I suspect I do need to. Kind of hated writing bad scenes, but still, I did have some newish ideas and am moving forward. Was somewhat comforted by reading novelist Rachael King's blogpost about the difference between the perfect script/manuscript in your head and the ugly reality of the actual draft. But only somewhat comforted. When other writers write about their bad first ideas, I always tend to take it with a grain of salt... 'but yeah, your writing doesn't ultimately suck' is my thought... I don't tend to be quite as generous with myself. Need to work on that.

Still, page 90! Getting there.

2 comments:

Benedict Reid said...

Yeah. It's always hard to be generous to yourself. Like this morning I feel as though I did no work. But looking back I realise I wrote three really information heavy pages. It's just that it wasn't directly creative writing, it was all peripheral stuff (synopsis and stuff) that you need to do before you submit your work anywhere. I need to accept that the peripheral stuff needs to be done. But it's a delicate balance as I know I've gone for months only doing peripheral stuff and never getting back to the core writing.

Sean_Molloy said...

Five pages today. I am on page 24 of the script.

Congrats on your page 90!