Thursday, June 26, 2008

Page 28

Phew! Rough start this morning, it all was a bit sucky, persevered anyway, told myself it's allowed to suck in first draft, and now I'm actually quite pleased with today's session. Made some decisions and came up with ideas I wouldn't have if had stayed in outline. Seem to be doing four pages a day, that's always been my limit in the past in terms of regular writing. Will be semi-officially trying for four pages a day from now on (but reserve the right not to make it if I end up doing lots of plotting/character work instead in a session). I was tempted today in places to paraphrase instead of writing actual dialogue, to say 'he tells her about x', but resisted as I realised that's the weasel's way out! So to speak. Gotta get it all down in a proper draft that's allowed to suck!

Am thinking for the next script I write will seriously curtail the amount of time outlining (as this has a history of sucking up time unproductively for me). Maybe two weeks? Four? Hmmm.

2 comments:

Sean_Molloy said...

I could definitely curtail the amount of time I spend outlining - that can years for me.

Years is too long.

That is an important realisation for me.

Benedict Reid said...

I've just come to the conclusion that I actually do outline for years... but I have five or six ideas that I'm thinking about as I work on other things. So my outlining isn't a focus, and it certainly isn't formalised.
It's always impressive when you're able to get writing done on days which seem busy. I am always extra impressed with myself if I have very little spare time and yet still manage to write. And interestingly, I actually think those are sometimes the days when you (and I'm using the universal you here) do your best work.