Saturday, March 7, 2009

Page 80.

Wow! Five pages! Actually five and a half. This might actually be a daily record for me. Started off pretty gruesome, it was all dire, just focusing on getting the plot down and damn the quality. Quality, incidentally, was embarrassing. But somehow that transformed into two good scenes by the end of my pages, which were actually quite fun to write too. So phew. This half isn't all going to be unrelieved awfulness!

I have been thinking that I've been spending far too much time trying to come up with a 'good' first draft, and thus wasting a huge amount of time. Even though I know in theory that first drafts are always bad, I haven't been able to help trying too hard to overachieve with this draft. Lately I've been thinking about how much time I'd save if I really didn't care or invest in the first draft being anything much but finished. I'd actually probably get two drafts done in the same time, and ironically probably end up with a better script in that time.

Working on getting to that approach.

By the way, though I'm at page 80, that doesn't mean I'm near finished - looks like this draft is going to run very long )(which I actually see as a good thing - lots more freedom to cut).

1 comment:

Helen Rickerby said...

Extremely impressive! Won't be expecting you to keep up that rate all the time.