Wednesday, October 1, 2008

What I've learned.

What I learned writing the first draft of this script:

That momentum is everything. (At least for me.)

I got bogged down several times in the writing of this script through going back to fix/change things. That cost me momentum, enthusiam, and clarity.

Next time I plan to:
Spend no more than three days outlining once I've settled on a specific idea.

And then write the script in 4-6 weeks. This allows for 4 pages a day with days off. No going back to alter things. But I will be keeping notes as I go re new ideas for the next draft.

- Oh, what I also learned:

That keeping a blog is a really useful writing tool for me. It gives a nice little fillup to the end of a writing session to be able to go online and post about my session (whether it's enthusing about a good day or complaining about a bad one). And I feel I can't spend many days away from writing or my readers will give up and stop visiting. So, thank you, blog readers, for helping to keep me honest!

4 comments:

Buzzer said...

But you're not stopping blogging now you're not writing are you?
Is it useful for you to go back over your posts and see in detail what bits were hard to write and which bits were easy?
Do you know yet if the easy bits are the bits you're happiest with? Or isn't it that simple?

the daily screenwriter said...

Well, I am having today off and I think tomorrow too. I'm not planning to blog on days I'm not writing. It probably will be useful for me to look back over my blog and look at which bits were harder, but not right now - right now I'm very happy to not be thinking about my script at all.

blofeld said...

Well it has taken me most of the night. And i can tell i am going to be useless tomorrow at work, but i am very happy to announce that i am now out of second act hell!!

I have just entered the 3rd act at page 100 exactly.

Sean_Molloy said...

Good work blofeld!