Saturday, August 2, 2008

Page 45 of the first half rewrite

And I'm back. Wrote two new scenes today (just over three pages, to be precise). These are part of the new sequence I just thought of the last day I was writing. A change of tone that I think will be interesting, hopefully shake things up a bit. It feels like it's going to be a bit longwinded at this point, but hey, first draft!

Took a little while to get back into it and remember where I was up to (should've just looked back at this blog), but enjoyed it after the first hour of 'where the hell was I?'. Really wasn't in the mood to write earlier this morning, but hey, I said I'd be back today... and it turned out just getting back into it was all I needed to shake that reluctance.

My scenes are just on the right side of okay (and sometimes the wrong side), rather than great, but in a way I think maybe that's a good thing for the first draft. Means I'm not so attached to them, shouldn't be too hard to kill my darlings (as the saying goes). This sequence also will require quite a bit of research, which I haven't done. So I've decided to just guess at it for this draft. As I'm doing with other research that I'll need to do for other aspects of this script. At this stage it seems to me that it's best to do the research after the first draft when you know more precisely what you need to know. So you can ask more precise questions (and not be a timewaster).

Nice to be back.

2 comments:

Sean_Molloy said...

Nice to have you back! And good on you for getting going again.

Benedict Reid said...

Yes. Nice to have you back.
Last day of the film festival in Wellington today. I'm really looking forward to it being over actually... so that all that time I've spent watching other people's work can be used creating my own work.