Sunday, August 17, 2008

Page 65 of first half rewrite

Okay, I'm back a day early, couldn't keep away. Not that I was feeling that inspired... but also was itching to get back to it... and in my experience waiting for inspiration is a no-win situation.

So. Hard to tell how productive today was really. I added in a new scene that didn't end up covering the point I was planning for it to. Could be a useful scene though (but still, does the next scene still work against it?)

Hmm. Not too clearheaded. Decided this will all be clear when I get first draft feedback. Am at midpoint right now. Have to make a decision about one element of how things go from here that's going to affect everything, obviously. Decided to leave that decision till tomorrow.

Nice to be back at it. Wish it was all clearer! Sometimes when I'm writing I'm really pleased with a scene, and I can't help feeling disappointed they're not all like that. Though, I'm very aware that you've gotta get that first draft down... and I can't wait till it's finished, in all its flawed glory. Y'all know what I mean, right?

4 comments:

Helen Rickerby said...

Good on you for getting back at it, and a day earlier than you'd promised!

Benedict Reid said...

All days are productive. Even the days which you later decide you didn't achieve anything. Writing isn't a simple, constantly forward moving, action. I like it when people talk about carving out a story... I like the way you can think of chipping away a this formless block, and then you find an unexpected line running through your story that you have to follow or else your story won't be strong enough.
I also enjoy the extended metaphor, but I might stop there rather than writing half a page about carving out a story.

the daily screenwriter said...

Thanks Ben. That's rather encouraging. You know, I would've been quite interested in your half page about carving out a story. So, feel free to comment at length whenever you wish... no word limits here!

Sean_Molloy said...

Screenwriting is murky stuff. I think it's about bringing clarity to the murk, but not achieving clarity at the expense of getting interesting. I like Ben's metaphor too.

Well, that's what I think right now, this minute. Tomorrow I'll say something different