Wednesday, July 23, 2008

And more rewriting

Man, I seriously prefer rewriting... rewrote maybe three or four scenes. Came up with some tweaks that will make them work much better. Now have to figure out how the next sequence is going to work, as I'm realising I need a build to the next turning point that isn't really a build right now. Also have cut some scenes with a character that mean I'm going to have to create a new scene or two to bring that subplot back up to speed. It's kind of second draft within the first draft. Maybe I should look at rewriting as I go more often. Though it's potentially dangerous for me, need to watch perfectionist tendencies don't get out of control. So far not interfering with momentum though, just firming things up.

Am on page 38 of the rewrite, incidentally.

4 comments:

Benedict Reid said...

The movement on my script has been very, very slow. 1 page on monday, another on tuesday and then today nothing. I tried to kick myself into action by going back to the beginning but realised that I was in the wrong mood for that sort of malarkie. As soon as I started re-reading it... well it was obvious that I was only able to see the bad things. So instead today I spent my writing time on catching up with various emails.
Here's hoping that I get out of this rough patch tomorrow.

Helen Rickerby said...

Daily screenwriter, good work. How much more of the screenplay do you have to rewrite now? When will you be back onto original script?

Ben, good to get a report from you again, because you are also being monitored (you are now warned). Hope tomorrow goes better.

the daily screenwriter said...

Thanks for checking in. Working my way through rest of first draft, which stands at 65 pages at the moment. Didn't anticipate this stage of the process - it's evolving as I go - but working well.

Sean_Molloy said...

Part of me is disapproving of going back to rewrite halfway through a script, but the proof of your approach is that it's working for you. So I actually find that exciting and liberating.

Do whatever it takes to get you to the end...!