Saturday, July 5, 2008

Page 54

The top thereof.

At this point am feeling a bit overwhelmed by keeping various subplots going and figuring out how much of what when. I could sit down and read the whole thing... but don't want to get caught up with liking what I've done so far either too much or not enough. Right now feels like the script's going to be way too long, at this rate. Although it's possible that I'm wrong about what my second turning point is, and that's the reason it's stretching out and I don't seem anywhere near my midpoint yet... oh well, will just keep going and see how it all pans out. That's what rewriting is for...

4 comments:

Benedict Reid said...

Don't get too caught up with what you thought your story would be. If your script is heading in a different direction... let it. As for all this talk of turning points and so on, that's second draft stuff.
If it turns out you're right and you're not at the second turning point yet... it might just mean that you naturally write long. That's not a bad thing. That just means that much of draft two will be cutting and editing.

the daily screenwriter said...

It's not actually heading in a different direction. It's just taking a long time to head in the direction it's going. Not that I feel like the scenes are boring (I hope). Yeah, it could actually be a good thing if the first draft is overlong, cos then I will be able to prune to my heart's content without worrying.

Helen Rickerby said...

Until your first draft is 210 pages and not quite finished (a la our first draft of KM), your script is not too long. Very good. Carry on.

Sean_Molloy said...

Yeah, once you've got stuff, you can play with it...