Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Page 63

Right at the top.

So. I'm back on track. The sucky scenes I wrote last time are still sucky. Have decided to just keep going rather than get bogged down in fixing them up. Finished the second one and it continued to suck. Oh well. But then I moved on and came up with a montage idea that I think will work well. Hopefully. At least it didn't suck as much as the sucky scene!

I think part of the problem is one of my central characters, I haven't really thought him through as a personality, what he wants, etc. But I think, at this stage, the time to do that is the next draft. Really don't want to lose momentum, as momentum is the thing I've had problems with in the past (hence this blog).

I haven't been reading through my script as a whole at all, just going back over the last few pages before moving on, but maybe I should. What do other people do?

3 comments:

Benedict Reid said...

I read as I go to keep the tone consistant, so I generally read the last 30 pages up to where I'm chipping away at the cliff face. But there are some days when I'm not feeling good about my script. On those days I make a point of not reading my script. I don't want to risk reading it and then deciding that I haven't got anything worth continuing with. There's nothing worse than getting 30 pages into a script and then giving up through loss of self-belief. So if I'm feeling unsure about my script... I just keep moving forward to the end and don't risk looking back.

Sean_Molloy said...

I do a few different ways. But the surest way for me to get to the end is not look back too much, if at all, and just keep writing. Inconsistency doesn't matter much at first draft stage - in fact it can be good. You can get lots of ideas and feelings about where to go in the next draft from just following your instincts of the day.

Helen Rickerby said...

I think that sometimes you can really get to know your characters through just writing them, and seeing what they end up doing. You can always go back and change how they were earlier once you've figured them out. I'm a bit believer in pressing on, but then I don't write scripts much, and it's much easier to press on to the end of a poem.