Thursday, July 24, 2008

Page 41 of the first half rewrite

Just to be precise.

Spent most of my session today figuring out what the next sequence was going to be. Have two subplots that need to be pushed further to a turning point that is currently on page 57. I think the idea I had this morning will work for both of them. We'll see. I wrote a placeholder scene that was kind of crappy for one beat I need, will come back and sort that out further down the track. This idea I've had is basically a sequence of scenes, I know I'm going to write them too long in this draft, never mind. Don't like my pages getting out of whack in terms of turning points etc, but realise it doesn't matter in the long run - better to write a scene too long, easy enough to cut it down later. Reordered scenes slightly too.

So, an okay day's work.

3 comments:

Benedict Reid said...

This morning I chilled out and tried not to think about my script. Then I was able to in a low-stress way, decide to just read what I'd written up till now. As I read it, I changed a line here and there. And when I got to the end of the pages I'd written I knew what the next three scenes had to be. So I wrote 5 pages.
Given that I'm writing a half hour pilot episode... I'm now actually a page too long. So in other words I finished my first draft today.
Before I show it to the producer I'll need to do a bit of polishing. I don't think the ending has much impact... and will try and work on that. But I'm a little bit stuck as the ending is exactly what the agreed outline said it should be. So I guess I'll just put a bit of work into giving it more emotional impact.
And funnier. My script needs to be funnier.
So when I say polish. I guess I mean, really quick second draft.

the daily screenwriter said...

Congrats on finishing the draft! I think a Fishie might be in order (though technically of course Fishies are for feature scripts) - so your TV Fishie is on its way.

Helen Rickerby said...

Ben, congrats on finishing your first draft. I think a choc fish is in order, even if it isn't a whole screenplay. Maybe you should get a whole packet of choccie fish for a screenplay. Seems fair.

Daily screenwriter - good rewriting. Also, I like your current blog name, but feel free to change it. Though if you change it I will have to change my link to it on my blog, and that will take me at least 10 seconds.